Play It Forward
Hip Hop Skills Sharing Weekend
"The thing about Hip Hop today is it's smart, it's insightful. The way they can communicate a complex message in a very short space is remarkable." Barack Obama
Hip-hop developed from several cultures including jazz, rock, tap, and American and Latino cultures. Hip-hop is a very energetic form of dancing. It is unique in that it allows its dancers to perform with freedom of movement, adding in their own personalities. The hip-hop culture is influenced by the following four elements: Turntabling (DJ-ing), Graffiti (art), MCs (rappers & spoken word), and B-boys and B-girls (Dance)
Workshop brief & outcomes:
- Groups of 10-20 (TBC) mentees aged between 15-25 mixed gender
- Mentees will work with mentors on a creative process.
- Mentees will work on activities, games and techniques.
- Mentees and mentors will decide on a theme to center the workshop and sharing.
- TAKEOVER Open mic and artist performance Saturday July 27th 2019
- By Sunday 28th July 2019 a short piece of individual or group work will be devised to showcase to an invited audience of industry peers, friends and family.
Follow us online
St Kilda Hip Hop Festival | Melbourne's new home of Hip Hop
This project has been supported by the City Of Port Phillip Cultural Development Fund